Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember

I remember the day America was changed forever.

I remember the moment I heard. Our innocence as a people was ripped away. Bye Bye Miss American Pie. Nothing would ever be the same again.

I remember the disbelief. The horror. The anguish. The fear. The confusion.

I remember the frantic phone calls. The devastating news that lasted for days and weeks.

I remember.

I also remember the relief....when we heard that someone wasn't there that day. They called in sick or just went off shift.

I remember the elation in the first few days that there were actually survivors banging, banging, banging, desperate to be heard and found in the rubble. Found and reunited.

I remember the call within. Each and every American heard it that day. The call in our hearts to do something. To go. To donate. To help in some small way anything we could do.

I remember the flags. Red White and Blue blazing across the sky. Everywhere we turned. On cars, in windows, on people. Suddenly the words of our National Anthem rang true....."Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave...." Yes! Yes it does, and always will.

 
I remember understanding, for the first time in my life, what patriotism meant. I remember for the first time in my life really feeling proud of the land that I was born in.

I remember.

I remember the day Americans woke up and realized the world wasn't our oyster.

I remember the day that we came together as a people. United. One nation under God INDIVISIBLE.

Sometimes I want to forget the pain. I don't want to re-live the emotion of that horrific day. But I, like every other American will NEVER forget. Those who have given their lives for our freedom and safety will never be forgotten. We will never stop honoring them. We will never stop grieving. We will always pay tribute. We owe them everything.

I remember. I will always remember. Eternally grateful. Forever humbled. Forever changed. I and every other American will never be the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment