Sunday, August 7, 2011

You Say You Want A Revolution.......We All Want To Change The World

     I believe the consciousness of the world is shifting. The world is changing. There is a growing movement of enlightened people who are sickened by the current state of affairs in this world and who are desperately seeking to make changes. The problem is that most of us walk around in neat little bubbles lined with TV screens that show us meaningless images of meaningless people doing meaningless things....and we emulate them. Lets take a look:
     This morning I was making a cheesecake with my girls in the kitchen. The TV was on in the living room. Mr. J was watching the Season Premiere of Jersey Shore. And my stomach is turning. I am listening to these simple arrogant self-centered self-serving idiots talk about what they expect to see and do when they go to Italy. And all I could think was, These f---- a---h---- are going to be the face of America to the whole world. They represent American popular culture! Hundreds of thousands of adolescents across the nation and world are watching......and emulating.....This is America? Is this what we have been reduced to? Self serving lushes with zero self respect whose only goal in life is to "get it in?" Really?! Sickening! Click...change the channel.
     I try to watch the news when my kids are sleeping. Murder, suicide, homicide, manslaughter (how many different words do we need for death) rape, molestation, gang violence, gang rape, famine, war lords, more soldiers dead for no reason, global climate change, pollution, and a giant mass of floating plastic in the middle of the Pacific ocean the size of Texas. Oh and did I mention death?  What about murder?  Did I mention murder?click
     CNN, CNBC, FoxNews...I try. I really try to focus and pay attention to the spinning and the spinning and the spinning of why my taxes are going up again, why my civil liberties are vanishing, why the rich keep getting richer and the middle class are losing their houses. Why are there so many repo shows on? (It seems they're the only ones making any money!) I'm so confused. And the career politicians.....spinning spinning spinning. Our Capitol Building sweats corruption as they line their pockets with with money stolen from American people to pay for their high end prostitutes and orgies. They go around and around convincing us that this is better than that for the American taxpayer as they sneak in deals for whichever lobbyist made the greatest contribution or which country has the most oil. I'm getting dizzy...and nauseated...click
   Gameshow. Cartoons. Pre-shool on TV. I'll take it. While my two year old watches Caillou for the 15,000th time, I can drift off into a fantasy world where everything is rainbows and daisies and none of this nonsense exists. And while that's fine for 25 minutes or so, reality eventually has to set in. This is the world I live in. This is the world my children live in. The all-mighty dollar reigns supreme. Sex is a commodity. Self respect is not.
     So what do we do? Do we allow this continue? Do we allow are daughters to become Snookis and JWOWWs? Do we allow our beautiful planet to continue to be raped by industry and consumerism? Do we allow our Lady Liberty to continue to be prostituted whilst our sons are being murdered senselessly on foreign soil? If we do nothing, if we just sit here in our electronic bubbles, we're just as responsible for the downfall of humankind as anyone else. But what can I do? I'm just a working mom who only gets time to think during the five minutes a day I get to lock myself in the bathroom when no one is hanging on me. I don't have any extra money or extra time. How can I make any difference at all?
A small shift in the direction of light when it enters a
 prism causes a beautiful rainbow. All it takes is a small shift!
     Well while the world needs big changes and people who do have time to speak out, run for office, rally and educate, that may not be you. But that doesn't mean you can't make changes for the betterment of humankind. Take a look at your life. What do you value? Who do you love? Whose life do you touch? You have power to make a change in the example of the life you lead. You can make positive decisions for the environment by doing simple things like recycling or composting or turning off lights or just consuming less. You can live a life of example. Your children are learning from your choices. They are emulating everything you do. So are your nieces and nephews, neighbors kids, and kids in the grocery store who don't even know you. If you're an educator, you have anywhere between 25 and 300 kids watching the way you treat other people, present yourself and live your life. You can make a difference just by living an example of what you want to see the world become. Live by the golden rule, the 10 commandments, the 13 virtues,  the middle path......whatever you believe is good and right. Stand up for your beliefs. Take action by changing your life. Some of us can make big changes. Some of us small. But we ALL need to make a change. As long as "we're all doing what we caaaan....." the world has got to get a little better. Person by person, choice by choice. Benjamin Franklin said, "Never confuse motion with action." Stop going through the motions of life and take action....any action. Even if it's just "liking" or sharing this post so that someone else might be inspired. I've been inspired. I want to be better. I want to do more. I'm tired of feeling sick and frustrated with the world. Together we can make a difference if we just get out of our bubbles and do something.

Ghandi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." That may be the least I can do, but at least it's something. And something is always better than nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment